I'm glad that I did not try using a 40 litre tank or even the 25 litre vertical, at best it would have had very complicated pipe work, needed new and tricky to build head lining and would probably not have self drained properly.
The bad news was that due to a number of factors, mainly positioning of the filter and the length (depth) of the deck fitting for pump out, I had to put the tank lower than I had hoped so gravity draining was still going to be problematic and would probably not have worked at all on starboard tack so I switched to "plan B" and am fitting a pump, diverter valve and a stop valve between the tank and the discharge pump. The existing inlet pipe work and the anti-syphon loop can be reused without modification which will save some time and money.
|The end of a long days work (finished at 19:00),|
the pipe to the filter needs a clip to hold it up so it
would drain back to the tank if any water got in.
- The panelling in the heads is out and most of the black mould behind removed, the rest will go when I have moved some pipework.
- The tank is mounted with a substantial block underneath that is bolted through the bulkhead to support it.
- Inlet connected at the tank end and taken through to where the diverter will go.
- Vacuum pump out piping completed, the head lining hides the deck fitting and just needed a small piece taken out on the aft edge for the pipe to go through.
- The filter is fitted to the bulk head and the inlet pipe fitted, it is close to the head lining but to change the filter the headline can easily come down, its held up by Velcro, and there is oodles of space above (where I had thought to put the filter).
The pump will go under the former port bunk, I have it home and it's now fitted to a mounting board ready to install. The locker lid has been shortened to open past the tank, the off cut will go back in with the waste pipe going through it. I'm now waiting for the diverter valve to be delivered and I should be able to finish the job in another long day.
|The fitted unit, I was quite pleased with the neat fit to the|
Treadmaster anti-slip pad.