Tuesday, April 2, 2024

2024 April 1st Days 3 - 12, Portland Marina.

Last night the UKMO model predicted winds gusting to > 40 knots tomorrow (Wednesday) and strong winds  before and after - it was blowing >25 last night but with a few hours of lighter winds on Wednesday morning. 40 knots would be at best uncomfortable and if things went wrong getting into the marina would at best be problematic. I therefore moved at 09:30 and am now secured to a berth and likely to be here until Monday or Tuesday.

It’s going to be a long wait with not a lot to do on the boat, except there is always something, last night most of the main cabin stopped working, as some on the same circuit were ok and the others blinked before going out it was clearly a dodgy connection, probably on a connector block. So it proved. An easy fix as I had cable and crimped connectors.

The failed linked between 2 parts of the negative 
connector block that has been in place above the
headliner for many years.
It got a bit windy Tuesday evening….
Screenshot on my iPad, slaved to the Garmin chart plotter /
Multi Functional Display.

I have been here for a week now, 3 gales including 2 named storms, not much sleep last night with the motion and the creaking of the mooring lines. 56 knots recorded on the breakwater. The westerly wind is blowing straight into the marina, fortunately not as bad as on the sailing centre pontoon, also I am now on the lea side.

I may be able to get away on Friday but it will be a pain with the inshore route unavailable, a spring tide and a likely head wind to weather The Start, Brixham may be OK but more bad weather may come in Sunday or Monday.

Update Wednesday 10th:

Stil quite windy but not extreme , there was a lull early morning so I took the opportunity to get out of the marina and moved back to the anchorage to save the expensive marina charges. The bad weather may arrive Saturday so I may accept a bumpy ride with a F3-5 headwind and move before then, heading towards Brixham with the option of making it an overnight trip to Plymouth, perhaps motoring from Brixham to Start Point(into the wind and with some shelter from the wind and waves) before reaching to Plymouth. Unfortunately the inshore route around Portland Bill will not be practical due to timing, weather and a Spring tide so it will be a 10:00 start to go outside of the Shambles and then passing 6 miles off the Bill. Assuming the forecast Fog tomorrow is not too bad.

This is getting rather tedious πŸ€¬πŸ€¬πŸ€¬πŸ€¬πŸ™


  1. What are your thoughts about Thursday? Currently looking like Sw or Wsw up to a 5, maybe 6?

  2. Hi, the moderation request crossed with my update. Fog could be a problem tomorrow together with the head wind, Friday looks like it would be more comfortable but the start would be an hour later and risks getting stuck at Brixham rather than getting to Plymouth in one or two legs. I’ll decide in the morning after the met office forecast, down loading all the models and looking out the window, plenty of time for that whilst I wait for the tide around The Bill.