Another change of plan due to the weather, I had planned to go to the Skerries today (Tuesday) and Ardglass tomorrow to shelter from strong easterly or south easterly winds arriving Thursday evening but the system is arriving early (and much earlier than forecast a few days ago) and that makes entry to Ardglass problematic, even dangerous, even before the strongest winds arrive.
I didn’t want to be at anchor at the Skerries which would be uncomfortable in an easterly and possibly untenable if the wind was north of east so I will divert to Howth, just north of Dublin, which is safe from winds from any direction. I’ll probably be here until Friday but a move to an anchorage might be practical late Thursday.
|The view from my berth on the hammerhead, the island known|
as Ireland's Eye in the distance.
|The rebuilt breakwater protecting the marina, the Pilot says|
this was broken down and at best awash at HW.
|The view back to the huge club house.|
|Thursday mid day and the wind was still increasing. If I had|
continued to Ardglass I would be arriving in stronger winds
blowing straight down a narrower channel than this.
|Spray from waves breaking on the other side of the island |
sometimes went higher than the Martello tower, this pic was
taken about half an hour before the yacht in the next pic arrived.
|If going for shelter in Howth in a strong wind from the east you |
need to get there before it arrives, although it should be doable,
this boat was coming from Malahide and through Howth Sound
rather than from the east, south of Ireland's Eye.