Saturday, May 22, 2021

2021 Round GB Day 38. Lochcarron to Plockton.

I woke up to silence (no howling wind) and no movement which after the last 36 hours was welcome, what was not so welcome was the cold, by lunch time it had warmed up a bit but not that much.

Achilles 9m Sancerre off LochCarron
Leaving the Lochcarron anchorage, there is fresh show on the
mountains down to about 1,000ft, so if the temperature had been
about 2 degrees lower there would likely have been snow on the deck.
Vancouver 34 "Telo" in the anchorage.

The plan was to make a short hop to Plockton to get better shelter from a forecast short blast of easterly wind and to position to leave after lunch on Sunday for a favourable tide under Skye Bridge and the first of the tide down Kyle Rhea, where at mid tide currents can run at 8 knots, then into the Sound of Sleat to anchor for the night. 

Leaving for the Kyle Rhea directly from Lochcarron would mean passing down the Loch and through the Strome narrows against the tide which in the narrows runs at up to three knots, not a major problem to be at The Kyle early evening but a non starter for the morning tide. 

Achilles 9m Sancerre in Strome Narrows
Achilles 9m Sancerre in Strome Narrows
The Islands in Strome Narrows (leading to upper Loch Carron)
look even more impressive at low water. 
Duncraig Castle

Achilles 9m Sancerre off Plocton
Looking out from the Plockton anchorage
The timing of the forecast high wind looked tight but reasonable on Friday evening, rather tighter on Saturday morning but now on Saturday afternoon it almost certainly will not happen as winds will not clear through as previously thought and are now forecast to be stronger at NE 5 - 7 with moderate to rough seas which would almost certainly be untenable at anchor in the Sound of Sleat. 

So I guess I'll be here for a couple of days and that is going to mean either a late start and finish with the tide 50 minutes later each day, or a very early start.

Fortunately the local Hotel did a good lunch today at a sensible price so, if it is not crowded out on Sunday, I'll not need to cook a main meal tomorrow.

8 miles in 2 hours.

Slide show of all my pictures from Upper Loch Carron to Plockton, page through by clicking the arrows or click in the centre of the pic to view from Flickr in a new window or full screen:

No comments:

Post a Comment